Saturday, August 25, 2007

Helpful Links

I've found two forums that I think are the absolute hubs for all information/help related to SEO.

seorefuge.com
forums.seochat.com

Check them out, do a search for issues you have questions on, if you don't see an answer that helps post a question, there are tons of very very knowledgeable people on these forums, the amount of knowledge available is almost overwhelming, I could sit there for hours just reading, but I'm trying to focus on my main issues for the moment, and my main issue at the moment is:

getting a sitemap for my CP shop. As it stands you cannot upload an xml sitemap (xml is the format that sitemaps should be in to be recognized by the main search engines). And because xml sitemaps have to be hosted on the domain that the website that is included in the sitemap, CP shop users cannot, as far as I know at this moment, use an xml sitemap for cp hosted shops, because we don't have access to the CP root directory, where the sitemap needs to be. Now...Google, at the Google Webmaster Tools says that you can have a sitemap in RSS feed format, which is basically a .txt file with a list of links and some simple html tags surroudning them, and Google doesn't make it clear if that file has to be hosted on the same domain as the sitemap which is referenced in the sitemap, so I'm thinking I might be able to remotely host my RSS feed and add that URL to my Google Webmaster Tools url's, and then Google will visit the sitemap, which will redirect it to the URl's for my CP shop contained in the sitemap. Still gathering more info on this, I'll let you know if it works.

No comments: