Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Backup Files!

So my computer went down two days ago and for two days I've dealt with a "apfilter.sys" error coming up on the blue 'Page of Death' when I try to load Windows XP. Then I tried to run in Safe Mode and that didn't help, the computer locked up while loading the Mup.sys driver. So I did some reading online, at work (because my computer didn't work!), and found that this is a very common error that people get. It turns out the apfilter.sys error is somehow related to video drivers/things plugged into usb ports. So...I reinstalled windows, I unplugged anything plugged in via usb (mouse included), reloaded the computer, while it was loading I hit F8 so that a selection screen comes up asking how you want to load windows (safe mode, vga mode, etc.) there is one choice called Directory Services Restore Mode (domain controllers only) and this is the one I chose that finally worked. Immediateley after I got into windows I did a search for the file "apfilter.sys" and deleted all files that came up. I think this file has to do with the laptop mouse pad, but since I use an external mouse I didn't care about deleting those even if it affected the laptop mouse pad, and now Windows works fine. Little lesson out of all this, backup your files. There will be a ton of work you put into your CP shop, including work on shop logos, t-shirts graphics, your 'Favorites' in Internet Explorer that link to all these helpful sites you've found, you don't want it all wasted because of a computer error. I put too much work into www.cafepress.com/hometownt to have that happen to me.

No comments: